Introduction to Somatic Practices
Andrea Preston, Juniper Owens
Explore specific techniques, grounding practices, and tools to use in session to better assist your clients. You'll leave this webinar with resources, videos, links, and supplemental learning to refer back to whenever you need.
This training is approved for 3 CE Hours by the following boards:
NASW-KY Approved Provider #050522.
Florida Board of CSWMFTMHC Approved Provider #50-33522. Course Approval #20-1082422.
Continuing education requirements vary by state, while many accept the above approvals, please confirm with your board.
Contact [email protected] for more information.
- Define 'soma' and understand how that definition influenced the development of somatic therapy.
- Describe the differences between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems.
- Summarize what a regulated nervous system looks like and how a traumatic event can disrupt that cycle.
- Understand the unique situations and limitations of each client and the importance of keeping a safe pace.
- Define 'self-regulation' 'dis-regulation' 'orientation' and 'attunement' in relation to somatic practice.
- Apply regulation and attunement techniques to your own actions and reactions in session.
- Practice somatic grounding techniques and demonstrate understanding of advanced somatic techniques.
LCSW, CPT, LMT, IMHP
Co-Founder, Director, and Social Worker
As a Licensed Clinical Social Worker Juniper has used the Academy's 3-Core Integrative approach for years, specializing in the treatment of anxiety and chronic stress. Juniper is greatly passionate about environmental justice and nature connection; she is a certified ecotherapist, Yasei Shinrin Yoku guide, and nature connection guide. Additionally, they are a Work That Reconnects facilitator and a Wild Mind apprentice at the Animas Valley Institute.
Therapist and Somatic Experiencing Practitioner
Andrea is a connected soul that provides a clear presence with each session. Individuals, especially children, find this connection and presence reassuring as they learn, grow, and explore during their journey. She creates a space where people can understand the impact of trauma, stress, and emotional dysregulation on their whole being. She enjoys the process of nurturing resilience and supporting regulation in all environments.